July 01, 2011

Nothando

"For you have set my heart free." Psalm 119:32

The Lord set my heart free in Swaziland not because of the place alone, but because of the people I have come to know. So here is another story of the beautiful ways in which the Lord worked in Swaziland.

I met Nothando on June 13. I was instantly drawn to her kind heart and refreshing spirit. Joy spilled through her smile. She willingly helped me with my SiSwati and it was such a blessing to be around her. 

Nothando turned 14 on June 16. I was writing down her address when I asked when her birthday was. She smiled brightly and told me that it was that day, June 16. It was an incredible thing to be able to wish her a happy birthday and give her a card.

I later learned that Nothando's parents had passed years earlier. She helps care for her three siblings, Lissa (7 years), Sunboy (19 years), and Mbahi (12 years). She does not go to school because she does not have the funds for it.

Nothando made an impression on my heart because of her welcoming personality and selfless lifestyle. I hope and pray that I will be able to see her again someday soon.
Nothando and I

1 comment:

  1. Kimberly,
    Nothando touched my heart, too. Hearing the specifics of her story breaks my heart. She has such a sweet spirit!!

    ReplyDelete